Sunday, May 18, 2008

HFCS




My sister told me about an article she read about the evils of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I decided to research a bit on line. There seems to be a debate over this sweetener as to whether or not it has contributed to our nation's obesity problems. Manufacturers seem to like HFCS a lot because it blends well with food, is sweeter than sugar, has a longer shelf life and is cheaper. It was introduced in the 70's. An article in msnbc reported that while our consumption of refined sugar decreased, our consumption of HFCS has increased by 250% over the past 15 years. When I went grocery shopping today, I was shocked on how many products contain the stuff! I kind of figured that many of the dressings, ketchup, canned fruits and such would have it. I was shocked to see my favorite brand of whole grain bread having it listed as the 2nd ingredient. Here are a few sites that have some information on the stuff. Bottom line - all things in moderation. I will be changing bread and reading my labels more carefully - but I will probably have a bit of ketchup and some BBQ sauce every now and then! Here are a few links:

MSNBC.COM


CBS News


Sparkspeople


Web MD


Okay - here's something fun to motivate towards the Niagara Falls Marathon:


Check out Niagara Falls live web cam I always forget to look at this during the day!


Here are a few pictures of the falls (go to Yahoo Travel to see a slide show)












I wish everyone well
Cheryl

0 comments: